We need your help!
The world of English chess has long been a bastion of predominantly white men, mostly above a certain age… and Hammersmith Chess Club is no different.
Recognising this fact is the easy part – doing something about it is the challenge.
At our recent Committee meeting, the club made a firm commitment to tackle this issue head on – we’re creating the role of Diversity Officer on our Committee, and we’re throwing this open for interested individuals to apply.
In summary, the role of Diversity Officer will have the following core responsibilities:
- Suggesting & promoting ways to make the club a more attractive proposition for all minority groups – in the world of chess this includes, but isn’t limited to: Women & girls, Youngsters & Children, Ethnic minorities, and LGBT individuals
- Providing a voice at Committee meetings on all proposals, ensuring club activities take account of diverse viewpoints and do not discriminate
- Helping enshrine ‘best practice’ in diversity in all activities the club undertakes
- Promoting measures to help recruit more members from under-represented minorities at the club
- Commitment to attend 3-4 Committee meetings per year – these normally occur on a weekday evening, between 7-9pm
If you – or your partner, parent or otherwise connected individual – would like to offer your services for this role, we’d be delighted to hear from you.
Please drop us an email with a sentence or two, outlining why you think you’d be a suitable candidate for this role:
We’d like to fill this position ahead of our next Committee meeting, and would therefore request that any interested individuals please contact us no later than Friday 26th October.
We’ll provide all the support & help required to the new position holder to hit the ground running & make a great contribution to the club.
Many thanks for your help, and for helping the club continue to evolve and thrive.
The Committee of Hammersmith Chess Club.