This has been an amazing year in Hammer history. Some of the highlights
- We moved into our new home the Mind Sports Centre
- We are 60 years old this year – our Diamond Jubilee
- We now have over 180 club members – will we reach 200 before the end of May?
- We have won the Central London League Division 3 under the expert captaincy of Robin
- We have teams positioned very well in the Thames Valley, the Middlesex and London Leagues
- Our Junior section is thriving under the expert and watchful eye of El Loco – aka Jim Stevenson
- We have had amazing guest lecturers – Nigel Short, Maxime Lagarde, Danny King and Harriet Hunt. All free of charge to Hammer members.
- We have run simultaneous displays, puzzle evenings, blitz nights. So much work here from Adam our secretary and Ben our club captain
- The new logo on the website – thanks to webmaster Benji – with Hammer merchandise so to follow
- The ground-breaking initiative to reduce the fee for women and girls to £10
- Finally, the first-ever Hammersmith Chess Congress – to be called Hammratty- will be held on the 4th and 5th of June at the Mind Sports Centre.
This has been a busy year and your Committee has worked hard to keep pace with Covid consequences, a cancelled January match program and a rapidly changing landscape.
I want to thank all the team captains, the volunteers who help with the Junior hour and the Hammers who help clear up at the end of the evening.
However, I think we need to acknowledge the amount of work put in by our secretary Adam – this club is so lucky to have him.
This brings me to an important date – the club AGM is due on the first Monday evening of June. This is when members get to see the detail, the financial position and question the Committee. This is an important evening and I urge you all to attend.
Furthermore, I urge all of you to consider standing for a position on the Committee – yes at times it can challenging, but it is incredibly rewarding. This is your club not the Committees nor any one individual– indeed historically the club would not be where it is unless key members had not initiated a velvet revolution at an AGM seven years ago.
So, my plea to all members is to get involved – we need help in many areas – Junior Hour, Membership and Captaincy. Plus, there are things we maybe should be doing but are not. New ideas and new blood are essential in any organisation.
If you would like to stand for a position on the Committee then please do, Under the constitution you have 30 days before the AGM to nominate yourself with another Hammer member seconding you, in writing and delivered to the secretary, Similarly, if you wish to propose a motion to the AGM this must follow the same process.
We are a democratic organisation; the AGM is the ultimate authority of the club – your vote and thoughts carry huge weight.
Please value it and get involved.
John – Lord Clueless