As the UK Government has now formally moved to the ‘Delay’ phase of the Coronavirus Pandemic, we would like to share the following update from Hammersmith Chess Club:
- We regret to inform members that all face-to-face chess activity at Hammersmith Chess Club is suspended as of Monday 16th March.
- Teams will no longer participate in league fixtures (most leagues have already suspended fixtures), and we will no longer hold club nights on Tuesday evenings.
- Please do not attend Club Nights until further notice.
- Note – captains will be in touch regarding a small number of games this week where we have not yet agreed with our opponents to suspend the match. Please ensure you look out for any emails, and if you are in any doubt about a fixture this week, you should contact the team captain.
- The situation continues to evolve and when we have a more substantive update to share regarding the eventual completion of suspended league fixtures, and the re-convening of club nights, we will do so.
- Our Summer trip to Lübeck has been cancelled after discussions with Lübeck chess club. If you have already booked flights and/or accommodation, we recommend contacting your airline or hotel for advice.
- Please continue to review & follow the official government advice:
- We will shortly be announcing some online and app-based initiatives to allow members to continue playing chess whilst minimising the risks during this period.
- This has been a difficult decision, and one that has not been taken lightly, however we must prioritise the health & wellbeing of our members given the current circumstances.
- Stay safe, look after each other, and if you have any queries please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hammersmith Chess Club Committee