Yes, those noisy neighbours are back for more. The gauntlet has been thrown down and the challenge has been accepted.
The lovable frenemies of South Chelsea – Battersea (pronounced “Batt-taze- eeahhh”) are desperate to get their mittens on that fabled chess trophy….. El Chessico.
For Hammer the trophy is important but the bragging rights are priceless.
They want a bit of the ‘ammer family silverware..despite having lost the last three matches…like all good masochists, they keep coming back for more.
It is time to take your Covid/Lockdown enhanced chess frustration and dish it out on a hapless bunch of South London wannabes.
The critical points are
- This year’s challenge will be a two-legged affair a la any European cup tie.
- With the away leg being played in Battersea on the 5th of October and the return at the Hammer home on Monday the 11th of October.
- The time control is 75 minutes with 15-second increments.
- The games will be rated so get your ecf membership sorted.
- Trying to get a minimum of 25 boards going – in non-Covid times it would be 40.
So, to all Hammers, I summon you to defend freedom, vanquish the frenemy, repel all borders, secure our birthright, take control and just get it done (copyright@ Priti Patel 2021).
Hammers, our honour is at stake – time to get real and get in the ring for a proper chess fight
Lord General Melchett Clueless