In October 2019, Hammersmith (along with our arch-rivals Battersea), combined forces to head into Wandsworth Prison for a day of training and rapid matches which turned out to be an amazing experience for those both inside and outside of the prison. (Link attached below)
We have been contacted once again (by Peter Sullivan) to support some initiatives within some of London’s prisons (Pentonville and Wormwood Scrubs). It would be great if someone was keen on providing regular support (to backup an existing team), but I am also putting together a list of people that may be interested for ‘one-off’ events at these locations too.
Ultimately, everyone who has participated before has said the experience has been extremely rewarding. Please note that this is open to both men & women.
- We are looking for volunteers to help out with chess sessions at Wormwood Scrubs and Pentonville prisons.
- We run weekly, two hour sessions during the week and we are looking for a team of three or four to cover them.
- The men really appreciate the opportunity to play and some improve rapidly.
- Peter Sullivan runs a chess club at Wandsworth and it is one of the most challenging and rewarding things he has ever done.
- Prisons in the UK enter teams in the World Internet Prisons Chess Championships in which the players have the opportunities to compete against prisons in countries like Argentina, Zimbabwe, India, Iran and the US.
Anyone thinking of volunteering will undoubtedly have a whole host of questions. We will setup a session to learn more for those that are interested.
If you are interested in any of the above, please fill out the form below and we will be in contact with more details:
Thanks all for considering taking a moment to really provide support to a positive initiative.