It was back on September 6th 2017 when we first announced our new, season-long RapidPlay competition. Over 7 gruelling rounds since, we’ve edged ever closer to discovering our first Champion in the inaugural Hammersmith RapidPlay Championship!
Round 7 – played across the month of April – didn’t turn up too many surprises, with most results running largely to form. However, there are two results worthy of note, both of which may well be instrumental in deciding the award winners at the end of May, as our 8th and FINAL Round draws to a close.
- Tony triumphed against Marios in the battle of the big hitters, leaving Bajrush out in front to secure the overall prize
- Ben edged out Wyatt in the hotly-contested “Battle of the Captains”, which might just have a hand in deciding the prize in the <100 category
As we look ahead to the pairings for Round 8, let’s remind ourselves of the 4 award categories as well as the runners & riders still in contention to claim victory:
- Open – Overall winner
- Bajrush is the man to beat here. A positive result against Nadhmi will bring home the silverware…
- Marios and Tony will be hoping young gun Nadhmi can spring an upset so they can usurp our all-conquering Chairman
- Kings – Under 160
- Matteo “the Suit” Bezzini leads the way, with 5 points from 7
- A whole host of players lie in wait, hoping for a slip-up; John White and Nadhmi could be the beneficiaries
- Bishops – Under 130
- Simon and Ben are jostling for top position with 4 points from 7
- Rich Wingfield is best placed to steal-in if Simon and Ben oblige
- Knights – Under 100
- Ben’s destiny is in his own hands here. A draw/win will clinch it
- Beyond that, it could still be anyone’s… very tight!
Monday 21st May has been allocated a “RapidPlay Night” at the club, so we’d love you to play your match there if you can.
However, we know that won’t be possible for everyone; not least Bajrush, Tony and Marios who are in action that night. Either way, please get in touch with your opponent asap so you can organise your match as quickly as possible. We’d love to have the tournament sewn up by that Monday if possible so we can hand out the gongs on the night!
Good luck all.