As Summer approaches and the Chess Leagues take a well-deserved break, we are lining up some exciting events of competitive and fun chess to keep our collective fingers on the chess pulse!
The first Event we are pleased to confirm is a Simultaneous display against Women’s International Master Sue Maroroa.
Sue is a former Hammersmith Player, and with an ECF rating of 213 currently ranks in the top 10 female players in England. She is a former New Zealand Chess Champion, has played at several Olympiads, achieving the WIM title in 2009 and later achieving International Master norms in 2014. Definitely a force to be reckoned with!
The event will be held at the Albion on Monday 11th July, starting between 7.30 and 8pm. We have space for 20 boards on a first-come first-served basis – if you’d like to reserve a spot please get in touch or leave a message below.
- Monday 11th July, 7.30pm
- Albion Pub, Hammersmith Road
- Contribution – Members: £1, Non-members: £2
We are also working on a few more events this Summer – a small taster below:
- Club vs Club challenges – we’re currently in touch with some other London clubs about arranging a Club v Club game across 8 or more boards. A great chance for some competitive chess, particularly for our newer players.
- 30 Minute Club Tournament – an internal tournament that will run throughout the Summer, involving several games for all players involved.
- 10 Min Blitz Tournament – similar to other blitz-tournaments we have run this year, we’ll have an evening of blitz chess for all-comers.
- Chess Pub Crawls – we’re lucky that the club is based in a part of London blessed with very good pubs! So why not combine the two in the form of a chess pub crawl! We’ll see how your Benoni looks after a few pints!
- Chess Charity Day in Association with MIND – we are organising some open air chess in Lyric Square, Hammersmith, on September 10th as part of a MIND-charity day. A great cause and should be a fun day playing games against the public in the open air! Hopefully the weather is good to us.